Here are 10 Headline Writing Tips That Will Instantly Improve Your Advertising Results:
1. Put your prospects name in your headline. Everyone wants to see their name in “The Headlines”. This will definitely grab their attention and get them to read your ad or sales letter.
. “Use Quotations” around your headline. Quotation marks create the perception that your headline is a testimonial and has credibility. And credibility, in turn creates more believability, and this can significantly increase response to your ad.
3. Don’t make your headline to “BIG”. Many advertisers believe that bigger headlines get a better response. Bigger is not always better. You want your headline to be in a readable and believable size compared to the rest of your ad. A big headline can reduce your credibility because it looks to “hyped up.”
4. Don’t end your headline with a period. This creates a pause in your readers mind and they may decide to move on to something else. People have been trained to pause at a period. But if you end your headline with an “!” exclamation point you will ad excitement to it and your reader will want to move forward with your ad (this is a good rule of thumb, but it’s not a law. I’ve seen and written ads with a period in the headline and it’s worked.) Another technique is to leave your headline open ended or use “…” to get them to move into your body copy.
5. Use one, two, even three subheadlines. Subheadlines below your main headline can be very effective in building intrigue and excitement in your reader. Each subheadline should be smaller compared to the main headline and the subheadline before it; ultimately your reader will end up in the main body of your ad or sales letter before they know it.
6. There are many advanced techniques for producing great headlines but what I’ve found to be simple and effective is to use the best benefit your product or services provides as your main headline, and then ad “How To…” to it. For example, if your best feature as a web developer is getting websites built and online within 3 days, the benefit of that could be…”How To Attract New Business Worldwide While You Sleep Starting In 3 Days!”
7. If you use “$” dollar figures in your advertising use this tip: If you help people save or make an extra $2,500 with your product or service, attach a decimal point to it: $2,500.00. What looks like more money, $2,500 or $2,500.00? Conversely, if you are stating a price for your product, put as few “0’s” in the price as possible. For example, if your product costs $2,500, you don’t want to print, “$2,500”, or “$2,500.00”. You want to print something like $2,499. This looks less threatening.
8. Combine a grabber with your headline and you might get amazing results! Grabbers are small gadgets and trinkets that are attached to your letter or report that get your prospects attention like: million dollar bills, real money, string, magnifying glasses, pencils, fake checks, bubble gum, poker chips etc. The key is to tie in your grabber with your offer in a clever way. Also, if you combine a headline above and/or below your grabber you’ll really ad power to your advertising.
9. Make your headline newsworthy. “How To Get Your Tax Refund In 10 Days!” is a pretty good benefit oriented headline, but you could test a newsworthy approach like…”Local Tax Planner Gets Clients Over $1,000,000.00 In Tax Refunds!”
10. Use a testimonial as your headline…Get the most detailed and specific testimonial you have and use it as your headline. For example, “I made an extra $32,000.00 In Six Weeks, and another $10,000.00 in Two Days!” is a prime example of a specific testimonial. This makes it very appealing because it’s real, it’s newsworthy, and I can attach a real name to it.